Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Baby names and winning ways

Today has been a cleaning day, I'm trying to stay off That Game Which Uses Up All My Time (KoL) and use my energy in productive ways. Since there is tidying to do before visiting people descend on us on Thursday, I'm cleaning. It's not so bad - if I wear my MP3 player I can rock out whilst I do it, and I don't disturb Bam too much if she's napping or whatever. Since the Reiki stuff last weekend I seem to have had a bit more energy so I'm making sure I use it rather than waste it. I've been told to watch out for icky side-effects but if this is the worst thing I've got coming then I'm very pleased! Course, it helps that I've been very much living the Reiki principles for the last 5 years or so, and we eat very healthily anyway.

Today's boggling is at baby names. It might just be because Bam and I are freaking awesome, but we didn't have any problem with baby naming. We thought about it for a few days, Bam vetoed the use of Deadpool, other superheroes and video game characters, and we quickly got our names. One set for a boy, one set for a girl, and one backup set for another girl just incase we had twins. We're not having twins (as far as we know). And they're sensible names! They're not strange, bizarre things like Tamisheena or Gorthomax or something which sounds like it should be a drug or an alien race. Whatever gender our offspring is (we find out in 10 days), it won't have silly initials either. They're good, sensible names that out offspring can be happy with, won't be teased about too much, and both sets shorten nicely.

I can't understand why people have so much problem naming babies. I can see reasons to be careful, I can see names to avoid, but that still leaves a million names to choose from. In a worst case scenario, it's easy to look up a rung or two on your family tree and see what your relatives were called and use that - I'm named after my grand-uncle, my father and my eldest uncle.

As for the winning ways in the title... As well as being a sucker for anything free (Blame the Irish/Scottish blood), I'm a competition whore. If there's something I can enter, I'll enter it. If it needs a tie-breaker, all the better. So long as all I need to do is click and type I can happily enter things all day and all night, for the most pointless of prizes. It's not a bad compulsion, and it's done me pretty well over time - in the last week I've won $5 from Honey Nut Cheerios (thanks, giant bees!) and tonight I won a set of calendars for moms.

We *really* need those calendars!

So, I'll keep entering random things, for random prizes. I've never won a car or a holiday yet, but there's plenty of time and oppertunity! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment